Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

[ Home | Upstate Underground Forums | DJ Database | Links | Events | Contact ]

All Forums
 Upstate Underground Community
 Upstate Underground Network Main Forum
 Your first ever all EDM party? should I say RAVE?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 5

Juniper
Upstate Underground Moderator

1960 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  09:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Juniper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
habitual discharge was a band that played a rave. Dont change the subject. This is over your statement how Band=no rave. Get off the high horse and quit trying to put a label on what raves were and are suppose to be. These raves with these bands were in the era of the actual warehouse raves. Twist and turn it all you want but that statement is bs lol On that note I am so lost in time and jaded I am not even sure what my first actual all edm rave style party i went to. Was fall of 1993 lol. Dont get me wrong i went to different parties that were all pre 90s edm. Underground events and so on. Not sure what full thrown underground event was the first. I can say my earliest memory of seeing a few high end djs was Jupiter I believe. I def went to parties before this but Jupiter If i remember right had Moby even. Pre Moby huge fame to lol Good times.

as for every ones first rave in Binghamton here it was

http://soundcloud.com/juniper

Edited by - Juniper on 04/03/2011 10:23:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Juniper

1960 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  10:23:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Juniper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
still one of my faved flyers

Go to Top of Page

DJinn
UUnet Guru

657 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  10:24:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since NC wants to technical about the term "rave" this now invalidates his entire arguement.

In 1958 Buddy Holly recorded the hit "Rave On," citing the madness and frenzy of a feeling and the desire for it to never end.[5] The word "rave" was later used in the burgeoning mod youth culture of the early 1960s as the way to describe any wild party in general. People who were gregarious party animals were described as "ravers". Pop musicians such as Steve Marriott of The Small Faces and Clare Willans were self-described "ravers".

Originally posted by neighborhood crime[/i]

house music is for democrats and homosexuals.
Go to Top of Page

neighborhood crime
UUnet Guru

2012 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  3:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit neighborhood crime's Homepage  Send neighborhood crime an AOL message  Send neighborhood crime a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Being a festkid or hippie is not the same as being a partykid or raver. You call either group the opposite, they get MAD.

Its the same f*cking resentment as being a clubber vs being a raver. Neither one of them liked each other in the 90s. Then merge happened and now everyone is pissing and moaning about numbers. f*ck dude, the resentment is still there. How many people in the "rave scene" hate pauly d, louie devito, and jonathan peters? We still haven't fully assimilated on that mission and now everyone wants to talk about taking on another scene? More hodgepodge please? GTFO with that shit!

Do you understand or no? Is this PROCESSING?

It worked out in CNY because they kept the venues legit underground while merging. That made the transition less noticeable due to keeping shit in rave territory. Look elsewhere, every other scene went mainstream club and failed hard.

Do you not remember these words after bad boy bills "bangin the box 2"?
"His music is going mainstream" or "bad boy bill is selling out"? I'm sure you were ok with this transition but a lot of partykids at the time WEREN'T OK WITH IT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZgbH0MjIHY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Go to Top of Page

DJinn
UUnet Guru

657 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  4:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't impose my opinions on what artists should and shouldnt be producing and djing. You certainly shouldn't be because you have no talent and no background in supporting the scene or participating in it other than a negative attitude and shady historical facts. If you want to cram every dj and performer into a box and say "this is what the EDM scene should be" then that's you problem. You keep talking about this great divide between "ravers" clubbers" "hippies" guess what, most people don't follow stero-types like you do. Most people are intelligent enough to develope thier own personalities and don't subscribe to typical sterotypes. You are obviously so insecure with yourself that you feel empowered by disrespecting people and trying to bring people down. In regards to the definition of "rave" you were splitting hairs so I simply pointed out that you clearly don't know your history.

Edited by - DJinn on 04/03/2011 4:34:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

neighborhood crime
UUnet Guru

2012 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  4:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit neighborhood crime's Homepage  Send neighborhood crime an AOL message  Send neighborhood crime a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Djinn, you used wikipedia for that term. You win one internet.

Edited by - neighborhood crime on 04/03/2011 4:35:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Juniper

1960 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  4:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Juniper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what is this babble. I will say what i stated before in another thread. We did not place labels on others in the early 90s. I was a raving dead tour raver lol in 1993 and so was everyone i knew. The labels were all placed later on. Like way later. We were in it to party. Shit to us back then there was no sub genres. Im not giving the back then speech at all just talking about evolution. Numbers were awesome. We had huge events with deadheads punks ravers all alike but to us we were party kids. In it for the same reasons. Dancing and exploring our minds. Now maybe you have all the answers which it sounds like but to me still to this day and my friends edm events are still wide open. Evolution as in every music scene. To sit here and go off about labels is just plain ignorant. All that you said is rubbish.Why do you stray away from the original conversation ofsaying that bands play raves lol. I will state that camp bisco is def not a rave at all. Not even close to what I consider a rave. I will say I have seen bands play raves during the US prime rave time and they were raves. I think you need to put the labels away and unify. Do you sit at raves and think damn those hippies should not be here haha Without getting into details those hippies provided us, nyc, chicago, sf, la and so on with a certain something that helped explore this rave journey haha a certain even was named after such experiences. So what we have learned from your last post was the merge of all labels and music genres killed the rave and its numbers. Wow!!!!

Edited by - Juniper on 04/03/2011 4:43:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

DJinn
UUnet Guru

657 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  4:57:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, it only took you 6 hours to figure that out?? Regardless of the source it's a clear definition contrary to what you said. If you can site a clear creditible source to support your statement then I'm all ears. Until then, your just full of shit. To Juniper thanks for posting this because it reminds me when I first started going to electronic music shows, there was such a diverse group of people who extremely open minded and helped push a completly new culture. After traveling around I found that same mindset applied to most people around the world. To me people who are into EDM really love it, they don't subscribe to the idea that I have to act, talk, walk, dress a certain way to identify myself. Quite simply our common thread is love of music. Obviously there are some finger pointers with bad attitudes but I think most people, even today, still go to parties for the music. Not because it's trendy. In response to the original topic before dickface hijacked it with his BS. My first party was @ The Givers Pimp n Hoe party, back in highschool. It's funny because at that time Ralph and I didn't know each other it was only a few years later that we started trading records and spinning together.

Go to Top of Page

neighborhood crime
UUnet Guru

2012 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  5:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit neighborhood crime's Homepage  Send neighborhood crime an AOL message  Send neighborhood crime a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I never said ROAR in effect for all hippies at the door. You're not understanding because you LIKE both scenes musically. There's nothing wrong with bringing in new people but to full-on push for merge is just going to produce jade. This is selectively favoring one group of individuals within the scene. Favor a particular focus group, you will drive a wedge between partykids who didn't and wouldn't assosciate with that background.

Where is the vast majority of people going to go when you have Pretty Lights playing at a club or playing at an outdoor festival? FESTIVAL

Tiesto at trexx or webster hall? WEBSTER HALL

People are going to naturally migrate towards the place with more numbers and towards the crowd that is most enthusiastic about the artist. All you are doing is deading your own future existence in the long run. You're pretty much trying to sell your crowd towards that other persuasion group.

You can talk all this smack on "people being above labels" but you really think that people can move past labels in times like these when its all in what f*cking purse and gear you have on now? Subconciously, people tend to do these things. You would be fooled if you think any social group doesn't have a status quo. There's accepting people but you really have to think about the fact that it happens because they relate to your terms. You really think the festival scene is going to "be accepting" of the goth crowd and heavy metal sub group within our scene or vice versa towards theirs? Doubt it.

Go to Top of Page

DJinn
UUnet Guru

657 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  5:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone able to translate this dribble for me??

Go to Top of Page

neighborhood crime
UUnet Guru

2012 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  5:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit neighborhood crime's Homepage  Send neighborhood crime an AOL message  Send neighborhood crime a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't give a f*ck, I'm totally wasting your f*cking time at the keyboard, aren't I?

You could be outside enjoying your day but you choose UU arguement.

Go to Top of Page

Vogelizer
UUnet Guru

7280 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  5:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vogelizer's Homepage  Send Vogelizer an AOL message  Reply with Quote
SUPER COOL STORY BRO.

Click the link below to stream and download my new mix

"The Punisher" by vogelizmskizm
http://soundcloud.com/defektivsoundsystem05
quote:
Originally posted by deebuke

seriously. people really need to get educated if they're gonna claim to like edm. i remember when i took my first edm test... i BARELY passed. i felt like such a scrub. but, then i studied my ass off.. retook the test.. got an A - AND a motherfuckin gold star.

now i only associate with gold star club members. which reminds me.. imma have to see all your gold star club member cards when you get a chance please. thanks.

Go to Top of Page

DJinn
UUnet Guru

657 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  5:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neighborhood crime

I don't give a f*ck, I'm totally wasting your f*cking time at the keyboard, aren't I?

You could be outside enjoying your day but you choose UU arguement.

I work from home douche bag...I'm working now...

Edited by - DJinn on 04/03/2011 5:50:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Juniper

1960 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  7:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Juniper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NC I see where you were going with that. Made some valid points but I still disagree tho. Thats fine!! Back to first raves now.

Go to Top of Page

Big Poppa
UUnet Noob

21 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  10:56:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Big Poppa an AOL message  Reply with Quote

was earth by phato, Binghamton's first event with a large amount of people?

just wondering...

i know bing had other events happen before earth, but was curious as to what went down before and after, with similar numbers... if at all.

every time i drive past that shopping center, i STILL can't believe a rave went down there...

I'm also surprised an event never went down at the arena, back when people weren't too keen on what an "electronic music festival" was all about...

Go to Top of Page

Wari0
shut_the_fuck_up_and_dance

2207 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  2:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brandon stop trolling for once.

My first party was in '99 at "Bar 607" aka "Liquid" and i really cant think of the name of it. It might of been the halloween party but im not sure. Went to another Rave soon after that which was called HoHo Project 2.

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals."

www.floasis.net _..-=[Liquid Dance Forums]=-.._

Go to Top of Page

deebuke
UUnet Guru

1861 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  2:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wari0

My first party was in '99 at "Bar 607" aka "Liquid" and i really cant think of the name of it. It might of been the halloween party but im not sure. Went to another Rave soon after that which was called HoHo Project 2.

Was that one in a basement of some bar/storefront in Bing? I remember the basement being sketchy as hell and dirt and dust kicking all over the place. Some banging toons tho!
Go to Top of Page

Wari0
shut_the_fuck_up_and_dance

2207 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  5:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no it wasnt, that basement party you are talking about was a free party Dave Thomas threw as a going away party for the store Gear 33 closing down, and that was in 2003 not '99. And it wasnt sketchy, it was Rave, which in turn can be sketchy, but i love that feeling. Awesome party.

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals."

www.floasis.net _..-=[Liquid Dance Forums]=-.._

Go to Top of Page

neighborhood crime
UUnet Guru

2012 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  5:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit neighborhood crime's Homepage  Send neighborhood crime an AOL message  Send neighborhood crime a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wari0

I'm pretty sure I was at that one.

Go to Top of Page

neighborhood crime
UUnet Guru

2012 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  5:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit neighborhood crime's Homepage  Send neighborhood crime an AOL message  Send neighborhood crime a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No it was the next halloween one. Bobbi jo had a little pumpkin on her head.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Upstate Underground Network © 2001-2021 Upstate Underground Go To Top Of Page
This UUnet page loaded in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

[ Home | Upstate Underground Forums | DJ Database | Links | Events | Contact ]

DJs / Promoters / Producers / Artists
Website Design, Streaming Audio, and Multimedia Website Hosting by EFX internet

Binghamton Web Design  Binghamton Web Hosting  Binghamton Networks