Upstate Underground Community
 Upstate Underground Network Main Forum
 Blog about Albany & House music & how we suck
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

afterhoursny
Upstate Underground Moderator

1779 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  12:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit afterhoursny's Homepage  Send afterhoursny an AOL message  Send afterhoursny a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You think you're scene gets a bad rap... You abviously haven't been to Albany.

http://blog.timesunion.com/albany/house-still-homeless-in-albany-ny/3883/#comments

"The Capital Region’s musical reach is pretty impressive, especially compared to cities of comparable size. Hip-hop, 90s, jukebox, hardcore, jazz, and Latin venues are all within jogging distance of one another another. But, where is ‘the House?’

When I say House, I mean the music genre, House — the best genre to exist, House. The I backed straight through my garage door because this track was just ridiculous and I wasn’t looking when… House.

This does not mean ‘Techno.’ House is not techno. I don’t want the once-a-month, all encompassing ‘techno’ night where Joey Glowstick and his high-school buddies play the hits they ‘never thought they would hear in a club.’ Chances are, Joey, there’s a good reason your ‘progressive’ mixes have been confined to basement walls and your parents’ Odyssey. Change sometimes is a bad thing.

I’m not knocking the amateur, but if you have ‘been in the business’ for more than five years and you are ‘digging through the crates’ for Alice Deejay’s Better Off Alone in an extra small tee-shirt — twice dried on high heat — then you need to reconsider some things. Take a day or two off, head to Friendly’s, get an ice cream. Relax. Get some sprinkles. Relax. Retire. Relax.

That advice might sound a tad harsh, but such DJs have given and continue to give all Electronic a terrible name. Its not just a matter sub-par taste, but the whole (horrific) image they promote and the fans that surfaces. And, sadly, I think this is one of the major reasons why Electronica has yet to settle in Albany.

“The House music that was born in Chicago has nothing to do with the stuff you’re hearing around Albany,” said Luke Jonathan, one of the very few DJs in Albany that can distinguish between ‘House’ and ‘Techno’ and spin a damn good set while he’s at it. ”The music that’s heard throughout premier clubs in NYC is shunned here because everyone associates it with LBGT communities,” which shouldn’t be a problem, but, unfortunately, it is. Music is usually connoted with transcending race, religion, sexual preference, and all of those other things, but why the hang up here in Albany?

Luke Jonathan often has to travel out of Albany to DJ, which, in both his opinion and mine, is sad. Sure, Jersey Shore and grown men wearing pacifiers haven’t helped make a case for House in Albany, but that’s not even the same thing. That’s often Techno, and cheap venues and – I don’t know — weird people. Joey Glowstick is going to sculpt his facial hair into lightning bolts regardless of what music he’s listening to; and there’s just no coming back from that. As for his rat pack, if they want to wear rhinestone parkas in the Summer, then who am I to say anything? Heat stroke does exist, you know.

Next up, and perhaps the chief reason for Albany’s Houselessness, is the drug issue. ’Raves’ were often depicted as the primary showcase for anything related to the music and connoted with heavy drug use, but that correlation has long since been put to rest in most metropolis,’ but not here in Albany.

Electronica revolves around drugs no-more and no-less than any other music genre revolves around drugs — which is, well, a lot. But, with a solid DJ and venue, you are not going to see a room full of people sweating, kissing, and hugging in one smelly, under-the-influence embrace. Why? Because we already have a place for that at the Riverfront: it’s called Alive at Five. And there’s a huge population for that. Really.

To digress, the lack of house music in Albany is the fly that we have forgotten to zipper. And I rest my case."

yeah so I guess there is no house music in Albany, it's official

Edited by - afterhoursny on 06/08/2010 12:59:52 PM

Sean Place
caulk_lover

4378 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  1:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sean Place's Homepage  Send Sean Place an AOL message  Reply with Quote
that's pretty bogus... I know you guys got shit going on, that guy obviously just doesn't pay any attention...
Go to Top of Page

Thomas J
UUnet Guru

3893 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  1:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol bros icing bros
Go to Top of Page

v0insdj
UUnet Guru

2449 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  2:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Send v0insdj an AOL message  Reply with Quote
joey glowstick sounds pretty sick!

www.facebook.com/DiskoV0ins
www.facebook.com/v0ins
www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
quote:
Originally posted by disko

i got moon boots maybe we can touch dicks

Go to Top of Page

PL@N3MO
direkt_influence

12577 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  2:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit PL@N3MO's Homepage  Send PL@N3MO an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've been rinsing a sick dubstep remix of "better off alone"

lol.. jk

this guy is a tool and has NO idea what he is talking about.. esp. this part

" the best genre to exist, House."

LOL. now I love house, but come on. Only a sith speaks in absolutes.

Go to Top of Page

afterhoursny

1779 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  3:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit afterhoursny's Homepage  Send afterhoursny an AOL message  Send afterhoursny a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would totally play a "better off alone" dubstep mix! send it over :)

This article pretty much sums it up here.
People won't come out unless they are playing the party, or they get in for free, or if it's just one genre, or if it's a certain venue.
Go to Top of Page

deebuke
UUnet Guru

1861 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  3:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Only a sith speaks in absolutes.

Is that a star wars reference?
Go to Top of Page

PL@N3MO
direkt_influence

12577 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  3:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit PL@N3MO's Homepage  Send PL@N3MO an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deebuke

quote:
Only a sith speaks in absolutes.

Is that a star wars reference?

hah yes, however you can easily substitute "sith" for "stupid douche" and it will work just fine for the real world. ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Leila
UUnet Guru

565 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  5:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Leila's Homepage  Send Leila an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think Luke paid someone to write this article... lol & I'm sure that it pissed off a bunch of Albany promoters as well...

I believe that electronic music as a WHOLE can not truly THRIVE in Albany because of the unwillingness of people who throw parties with a lot of money to bring in names people want to see, the unwillingness of people in the scene to open up to new dj's, and - more importantly than any of it - the lack of a large venue to use (that isn't a gay bar)....

more often than not i've heard people say they wouldn't go to certain events cause a venue either was, or is still, a gay bar... I find that ridiculous - but - something that needs to be taken into consideration around here unfortunately...

the Y2k parties years ago didn't help much either... a LOT of people in the area were left with a bad taste in their mouth with all the drama/bullshit that happened at those events. They look at the electronic music scene, think back to that, & expect it to still be the same :( I'm glad it's not - and we are slowwwwwwly getting more people into it - it just takes some time.

As for house specifically - they have two house music events every week in Albany & the surrounding cities (AT LEAST 2!!!). Obviously this guy has no idea what he's talking about & doesn't really get out much does he???

Oh well - my turn... i'm gonna have my friend at the Metroland submit an article about how much cooler she is than that douche, how much more qualified she is to know what's happening in house music in Albany, how much better DNB is than anything else, AND - most importantly - how Mentally Ill & Leila are "like the bestest dj's ever and everyone should wanna be like them" lolololol

www.djleila.com

UPCOMING SHOWS!!!:
7/10 ~ Vibe This! - Albany, NY * 7/23-25 ~ 4th annual Water tanks on the Banks/PMT fest - Clyde, NY * 8/6 ~ The Big Up - Ghent, NY
Go to Top of Page

Leila
UUnet Guru

565 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  5:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Leila's Homepage  Send Leila an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ps - next event we are throwing - july 10th @ Red Square ft. Jack McDevitt, Scooby, True Risen w/ Mic Souljah, Nicky Bruise, myself, Mentally Ill, Psychotropic Sound Machine, Isis, Demon & Krambis....

(just thought i'd throw a lil cheap promo in there!) ;)

www.djleila.com

UPCOMING SHOWS!!!:
7/10 ~ Vibe This! - Albany, NY * 7/23-25 ~ 4th annual Water tanks on the Banks/PMT fest - Clyde, NY * 8/6 ~ The Big Up - Ghent, NY
Go to Top of Page

afterhoursny

1779 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  09:39:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit afterhoursny's Homepage  Send afterhoursny an AOL message  Send afterhoursny a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leila

ps - next event we are throwing - july 10th @ Red Square ft. Jack McDevitt, Scooby, True Risen w/ Mic Souljah, Nicky Bruise, myself, Mentally Ill, Psychotropic Sound Machine, Isis, Demon & Krambis....

man I have to dj this night already. Would love to see McDevitt again
Go to Top of Page

t3uth
UUnet Guru

1793 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  1:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit t3uth's Homepage  Send t3uth an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Reading this made sense until i got to the end where everything stops making sense and he starts leaping in logic far too much. Guess some people really can't handle good music. -_-

wob wob wob wob wob wob wob wob

SHADOWPARK STUDIOS :: http://shadowpark.biz
Utica Unity :: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utica-Unity/289281389934?ref=mf
Portfolio: http://ivandp.designbinder.com/
Go to Top of Page

Vogelizer
UUnet Guru

7280 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  10:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vogelizer's Homepage  Send Vogelizer an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A summary:

"Everyone who knows nothing about EDM calls all of it "Techno" I am one of those people who is friends with the one DJ I bothered to interview. He thinks the scene is struggling and I think his music is swell so I decided to write an article on the topic having done no research and show everyone how ill-informed the general American public is about dance music."

Click the link below to stream and download my new mix

"The Punisher" by vogelizmskizm
http://soundcloud.com/defektivsoundsystem05
quote:
Originally posted by deebuke

seriously. people really need to get educated if they're gonna claim to like edm. i remember when i took my first edm test... i BARELY passed. i felt like such a scrub. but, then i studied my ass off.. retook the test.. got an A - AND a motherfuckin gold star.

now i only associate with gold star club members. which reminds me.. imma have to see all your gold star club member cards when you get a chance please. thanks.

Go to Top of Page

djjackm
UUnet Noob

19 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  9:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit djjackm's Homepage  Send djjackm an AOL message  Send djjackm a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by afterhoursny

quote:
Originally posted by Leila

man I have to dj this night already. Would love to see McDevitt again

Love to see you to Don. I will be out there early, and sticking around.

Albany. You are in for a treat. I like DJ'ing again. And that city has always been a home for me thanks to the Massive guys.

Albany stand up. Because I plan on pushing you around and running your pockets.

DBMK Inc. - On the road again.

www.soundcloud.com/discoballmurderkit

Volume Productions | Boston Breaks | Vicarous Events | MySpace
Go to Top of Page

dosethealien
network_jedi

2854 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  12:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit dosethealien's Homepage  Send dosethealien an AOL message  Reply with Quote
One of the things i learned from Phat-O back in the day is when people start hating on you that it means:

1) you're doing something right...
OR
2) your just a f*ck up and have no idea what you're doing.

in this case it sounds like this uber tool decided to tell the world what his opinions are, maybe it was part of an application to work for FOX News.

63M1N1 R151N6 - JUN3 2011 - PR0M0 M1X
http://soundcloud.com/dose-the-alien/sets/63m1n1-r151ng

F4C3800K
https://www.facebook.com/D0537H34L13N
Go to Top of Page

plume
network_junglist

5695 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  7:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The irritating part is that he thinks he knows what he is talking about. As if techno is a genre worth making fun of? It hardly gets any press/attention any where and if I hear real techno being played out - it's refreshing more than any thing else (obviously I love it). He probably means crappy top 40 dance music maybe? I don't know, but if he's flexing on the fact that he knows what "real house music" is he obviously isn't very educated on the techno genre.

wtf is real house music any way? There's like 1.5 million sub genres of house! Progressive to minimal. Duh!

The way I see it any way is that the lines between techno and house become thinner and thinner any way... what's techno to someone might be a house track to another. ya dig?
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Upstate Underground Network © 2001-2021 Upstate Underground Go To Top Of Page
This UUnet page loaded in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

[ Home | Upstate Underground Forums | DJ Database | Links | Events | Contact ]

DJs / Promoters / Producers / Artists
Website Design, Streaming Audio, and Multimedia Website Hosting by EFX internet

Binghamton Web Design  Binghamton Web Hosting  Binghamton Networks